0300 012 0030
Generic filters
Filter by Content Type:
Select all
In your area
Get Help
Get Involved
Get Informed
Current Vacancies

Financial support for those in need

More serving and veteran police, and their families, are living in financial hardship, which is why we provide access to financial support in times of need.

Make a referral for help now

Make a referral

You can self-refer, or refer someone else for an assistance grant from Police Care UK. Just fill out this form and we'll get in touch. Alternatively, you can call us on 0300 012 0030 (lines open 9am-5pm Mon-Fri)

Why does Police Care UK provide assistance grants?

We know from responses to the Injury on Duty research published by Police Care UK, and from the feedback from the people we currently care for, that serving and veteran police officers and staff, volunteers, and their families are struggling to cope day by day financially, and that unexpected bills or repairs are completely unaffordable.

Similarly, we know that recovery from the physical and psychological trauma of policing affects their ability to work after leaving the service. That is why Police Care UK provides access to financial support through its assistance grants programme.

What is an assistance grant?

A financial grant from Police Care UK is awarded at the discretion of the trustees, which is made on the advice of the independent grants panel. It can be applied for, for a variety of things, including (but not limited to):

Furniture and household appliances

Essentials like food and clothing

Setup costs to help get into rented accommodation

Frequently asked Questions

Is there anything you won't fund?

There are certain things a grant can not be used for:

  • covering any legal costs
  • repaying debts
  • a loan
  • for medical care (including counselling or psychotherapy - if you are seeking help with this, then please look at the Police Care UK counselling support)
  • where state assistance or statutory services are available

I want to fund private counselling, can you help?

Sadly no, we cannot fund private treatment outside the support provided by our own Confidential Careline. Click here to read more about the counselling available from Police Care UK.

Is an application means tested?

The independent grants panel means-test all assistance grant applications, using the Joseph Rowntree Minimum Income Standard, before then asking three questions:

Q1: Does the household income exceed the JRF minimum income standard?

Q2: Is the application directly related to a physical or psychological injury sustained?

Q3: Does the application demonstrate reasons that are in-keeping with our charitable objects as to why an assistance grant is needed?


The JRF sets out what minimum income is required (as an average in the UK) to live a decent standard of living. Police Care UK uses this as a guide, because there are personal circumstances that this standardised tool could never factor in.

How long does the process take before I receive the funds?

From the moment the application is fully complete, it can take up to 6 weeks to process an application. The independent grants panel meets monthly to review applications for assistance grants, but your case can only be submittied once we have all of the following:

  • Confirmation of eligibility to apply (registration, which includes verifying police status)
  • A fully completed assistance grant application form (which includes financial statements, JRF calculation, and any corroborating paperwork required by the claims manager)
  • A visit report (if required by the welfare team)

Who can apply for an assistance grant?

You must be fully registered with Police Care UK to apply for an assistance grant. To do this you need to contact our Welfare team on 0300 012 0030. You will be required to provide proof of injury along with your registration document.

If you meet the following criteria then you can apply for an assistance grant:

  • Serving or veteran police officer, staff, or volunteer (including cadets and special constabulary) from any police force in the UK (43 territorial forces in England and Wales, Police Scotland, Police Service of Northern Ireland, Ministry of Defence Police, Civil Nuclear Constabulary, British Transport Police, National Crime Agency (and its associated units and teams), ports police, and the parks police).
  • Family member who are (or in the case of a deceased police officer, staff, or volunteer, were at the time of death) financially reliant upon the police officer, staff or volunteer. This includes:
    • A spouse, civil partner, or partner (in the case of cohabiting couples, this must have been for a minimum period of 12 months). In the case of former spouses/partners, each case will be considered on its own merit.
    • A child (including a step or adopted child or grandchild where parental responsibility exists) of the qualifying police officer, staff, or volunteer who is either:
      • under compulsory school age
      • under 25 and in full-time education, or
      • requires ongoing care for a phsyical or mental impairment
    • Other family members by way of birth, marriage or civil partnership

Do my benefits affect my claim for an assistance grant?

We cannot offer benefits advice but suggest that you seek appropriate advice as to whether receipt of a grant will affect you entitlement to state benefits in any way. Advice about benefits may be sought from a benefits advice service or from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

We expect you to be claiming all state benefits to which you are entitled before making an application to us and you will be asked to confirm this is the case when making an application. To find out whether you are claiming all you are entitled to, please complete our confidential benefits checker online.

Back to the top